Did you see the Gordon family in the Jamboree ad of Orange Coast magazine? Watch the inspiring example (#EndHomelessnessOC) of how this family overcame a spiral into homelessness – a devastating industrial accident, a job loss, and the loss of their home.
Never missing a day of school, the family stuck together. In this short video, see how they are now living successful, independent lives in a permanent place they call home.
Ending homelessness permanently in Orange County could bring hope for many more families and individuals. And, it makes cents. At Jamboree Housing Corporation, we're daring enough to think it's possible.
For example, did you know that:
- The vast majority of Orange County’s homeless are U.S. Citizens and long-term OC residents. In fact, most have lived here more than 10 years.
- The primary cause of being homeless is not alcohol and/or drugs, mental health or release from jail or prison. In fact, the top three contributing factors are ones many of us – or even our neighbors – can relate to:
- Job loss
- Loss of home due to evictions or foreclosures
- Family issues such as divorce, death of a family member or domestie violence
#1 Think differently about how much homelessness is costing OC – and save taxpayers money.
A new study conducted by the University of California, Irvine – and funded by Jamboree and Orange County United Way – estimates that cities, counties, hospitals, and non-government agencies spend nearly $300 million every year to address the issue of being homeless. This money provides a needed response, but not a solution.
So how do we fix homelessness and save money? By housing those on the street in a way that:
- Reduces the average annual cost of services for those homeless by 50%.
- Saves Orange County and taxpayers an estimated $42 million.
Learn more about OC’s homeless and how much being homeless is really costing Orange County in the findings of the first-ever Cost Study of Homelessness in OC: Full 71-page report, Executive Summary or descriptive infographic.
#2 Think differently about how we solve homelessness – and create more solutions that already work well.
At Jamboree, we believe stable housing is the foundation on which stable lives are built. That’s why our strategy to end homelessness in Orange County ensures that:
- Chronically homeless, veterans, families, and even individuals with a mental health diagnosis have a permanent place to call home.
- Onsite supportive services provide help with life skills, job training, and 24/7 access to clinical services.
Catch a glimpse of how permanent supportive housing is working in OC and beyond. Download the Jamboree Permanent Supportive Housing flier.
#3 Dare to hope that ending homelessness in OC is possible – and use your influence to make a difference.
What will it take to end homelessness in Orange County? A lot of creativity, compassion, political will, funding, connections, influence, and passion – from city and county officials as well as leaders and influencers from our schools and businesses, nonprofit and faith-based communities.
Are you daring enough to dream with us? We want to talk to you and other like-minded leaders about an issue we truly believe can be solved.
Together, let’s leverage your insights, connections, influence, and compassion to make a collective impact. Call today (888) 214-8195.